Every Summit Academy OIC student is assigned a Student Advisor at New Student Orientation who is responsible for providing guidance on the following:
- Academic progress
- Advocating for students when appropriate
- Assisting in finding resources (such as childcare, counseling, transportation and/or emergency help)
- Coaching and supporting your success at Summit Academy OIC
- Help in navigating SAOIC’s Policies and Procedures
Accommodation & Disability Services
Summit Academy seeks to create a welcoming environment in which all students can reach their academic potential, have equal access to academic opportunities and activities, and is committed to addressing barriers encountered by members of the campus community with appropriately documented physical, cognitive, and psychological disabilities. Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, individuals with disabilities are protected from discrimination and assured services.
For more information regarding reasonable accommadations during entrance testing or while attending Summit Academy, contact Director of Student Services Miriam Williams.
Students at Summit Academy benefit from discounted bus passes. As students near graduation, financial assistance may be available for costs related to transportation, such as car maintenance and repair, driver license reinstatements, and more. Student Advisors and Career Success Coaches help students navigate these resources.
Women Wear Hard Hats Too (WWHH2)
Independence & Security
Women Wear Hard Hats Too (WWHH2) was specifically developed to increase the participation of women in the construction trades. It serves the unique needs of tradeswomen and introduces them to a network of women already in the industry.
Our Women Wear Hard Hats Too training lunch provides women with information on topics pertaining to women in the construction field. This event occurs bi-weekly on Mondays, weeks 2-8 for Phase 1 students and weeks 12-18 for Phase 2 students.
Women in the field provide discussion on the following:
Financial Education/Credit Repair
Working in a male-dominated career
Tricks of the trade
Great salary, Unions, & Benefits
Construction apprentices start at more than $35,000/year. Union membership offers great benefits, including health insurance, a pension plan and the opportunity for training and advancement.
Supporting Your Training
Our training readiness support services are comprised of programs and services that work to provide equitable opportunities and successful outcomes for all students. Through these resources and services, we enhance our efforts to ensure that each student receives the academic, social-emotional, and support services they need to be successful.
- Discounted bus passes for purchase on campus
- Advising services
- Links to community resources off-campus for housing, food, and health needs
Lunch & Learn
Our Food 4 Thought programs work in conjunction with one another to consistently provide holistic and inclusive support services to our students in a compassionate and respectful environment.
- Brown Bag Lunch: These presentations provide information on off-campus community services and resources addressing student needs/concerns.
- North At Work: These presentations are specifically designed for African-American and Latino males ages 25+ and are held every Tuesday & Friday during Weeks 3-9 from 11:30 a.m.-12: 45 p.m. The presentations provide personal and professional development information in addition to resources addressing expressed needs/concerns.
- Breakfast of Champions: Held every Tuesday and Friday from 7:50 a.m.-8:20 a.m. during Weeks 2-9 of every program. Students enjoy free breakfast and coffee while learning about career readiness skills, communication styles, leadership styles, and study skills.
Minneapolis College Public Safety is the primary unit for supporting the personal safety of Summit Academy students, employees and visitors.
Personal awareness and applying personal safety practices are the foundation of a safe community. We keep the Summit Academy campus safe and welcoming.
If you have issues or need to report anything, please click below.