Service Desk Technician Training
Give us 20 weeks and we’ll help you change your life! As one of the premier vocational schools in the Twin Cities, we work hand-in-hand with industry employers. This ensures our graduates are ready for the challenges of building complex skills that are valuable for Minnesota’s IT industry.
Our immersive Information Technology specialty Service Desk Technician program plugs you directly into the most relevant IT techniques and practices. The training rewires your mind to take on the exciting challenges of a career in information technology. This hands-on course is designed to teach students computer fundamentals and other IT industry practices. The relationships formed with your fellow students, industry mentors and guest speakers provide you an invaluable network of passionate, diverse tech allies to call upon throughout your career.
“This the first time in my life that I go to work every day with a smile on my face.”
— Summit Graduate
“Summit Academy changed my life! I am living proof!“
— Summit Graduate
“The best social service program in the world is a job.”
— Louis King, Summit Academy OIC President/CEO
“Seeing students actually finish. That is what Summit is all about… changing lives.”
— Summit Staff
What does a Service Desk Technician do?
A Service Desk Technician is vital to the IT workforce as they keep the technologies that organizations rely on to do business updated and running smoothly. IT Service Desk Technicians provide technical support and troubleshooting services to clients who need assistance with their computer hardware or software.
The course is 20 weeks and consists of two phases
Tuition is 100% covered
Our next program start date is February 3, 2020
You will receive job-specific training
Class schedule is Mon-Fri 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
Service Desk Essential Duties
- Create, resolve, or escalate support tickets for external and internal customers
- Identify, analyze, and troubleshoot issues both independently and within a team setting
- Ensure assigned support tickets are updated, current, and resolved in a timely manner
- Communicate effectively to both staff and end users through phone, email, or face-to-face interactions
What You Will Learn (Objectives)
- Become well-rounded individuals to begin careers in the technology industry, primarily in entry-level service desk roles
- Provide foundational skills in both hardware and software via current CompTIA A+ concepts
- Apply soft business skills to communicate effectively both written and verbally to external and internal customers
- Identify and analyze user needs as well as provide IT solutions in a clear and concise manner
- Collaborate with others to accomplish tasks such as creating and modifying “how to” documentation in a consistent manner
- Understand change management and service management, as well as best practices and standards related to the IT field
- Employ theory-to-practice through an It work-based training experience
Tuition to change your future
You will have NO OUT-OF-POCKET expenses to cover tuition and no extra fees to pay. Our financial aid office is committed to administering gift aid to ensure that your tuition is covered. As an institution, we do not participate in Federal and State Student Loan programs, so there are NO LOANS TO PAY BACK.
$0 to the Student
Think you’re ready? Take our practice quiz
Why should you enroll at Summit?
Program Curriculum & Schedule
Weeks 1-10 is where you will learn the foundations of both hardware and software technology. You will learn IT fundamentals, Microsoft Office, as well as ITIL, which helps you understand the value of IT services. You will also collaborate with your classmates where working in teams is critical to your success in the IT industry. This includes building your “power skills” in both written and oral communications. Class time is 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. in Phase 1.
*IT program is approved by the Minnesota Office of Higher Education
*Summit Academy reserves the right to cancel the program if the class doesn’t reach the minimum of 20 students
- Understand foundational principles and value of IT
- Gain familiarity with Microsoft Suites
- Build “power skills” to communicate and collaborate effectively
- Utilize keyboarding skills
- Communications and English
- IT Fundamentals and Computer Lab
- MS Suites and Keyboarding Skills
DEVELOPING YOUR SKILLS
Weeks 11-20 is where we build on the foundations you learned in Phase I. You’ve got the skills and now we put them to the test! This part of the program is designed to challenge students with a higher degree of difficulty in information technology. We’ll discuss everyday service desk examples to understand how all of these components impact overall processes. In addition to advancing your technical aptitude, you will receive career development skills to help you transition into everyday work life. You will also take part in an internship where you’ll gain practical experience with the entire process, from problem-solving to evaluating, refinement, and execution. Class time is 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. in Phase II.
The IT industry has criminal background restrictions. Any theft or felony conviction is a disqualification for employment. Summit Academy will screen potential students prior to enrollment.
- Learn problem-solving techniques
- Build on technology skills through applied learning
- Employ “theory-to-practice” through an internship experience
- Career Development
- Specialized IT Fundamentals and Applied IT
- Intro to Networking
- Customer Service Communications
- Computer Science Principles
JOIN OUR COMMUNITY
At Summit Academy, #SummitWorks is not just a hashtag — it is our way of life.
Join the hundreds before you.
Apply before our next program start: February 3, 2020!